RLLauthor@outlook.com and @RLL_author GO TO AMAZON KINDLE STORE AND TYPE RLL. YOU WILL FIND MY BOOKS.

Saturday 2 February 2019

MEETING SERIAL KILLERS OFF THE INTERNET: A REPORT FROM A FUGITIVE.

If you haven’t pissed people off, you haven’t lived.
   Reader, I’ve lived.
   (Shout out to Charlotte Brunty. Yes, I happen to like that spelling.)

*

The flip-side to making enemies is making friends. I’m going to use the f-word and the c-word in this blog post. If you are offended, it means you are alive and – at the very least – semi-awake.
   As I navigated my way across the internet, I encountered all sorts of authors…and people who would be authors if they turned the spotlight of fancy on the hidden notion of writing.
   For those people, writing is the deer caught in the headlights. Not for long. It darts into the forest and is never seen again. Even the non-writers I encounter online have many a story to tell. It’s not all about author-to-author contact.
   Mostly, but not all.

*

What strange writers do I encounter, if I encounter all sorts? Oh, the usual dead ones: former scribblers who step out of the past with the subtle hello of an atom bomb landing on your plate. The living literary typing types come in many varieties. There are people who just burble merrily along, and you wave as they burble at your wave.
   Occasionally there are writers who reach out for help in a moment of crisis. In response, I furnish as little harm as I can mismanage under the circus tenties. If you can’t do some good, at least avoid doing any bad.
   There are writers who handed me my jaw after I dropped it during a conversation in which I was stunned by the universe-forming eloquence of the non-me part of the chatter. Believe me when I say there’s no such thing as small-talk when writers are involved. I keep reminding myself of that, and I keep dropping that jaw in surprise at momentous thoughts wrapped in casual conversation.
   It’s nice just to show up to a chat like that and stay warm by the fire while the words hit me. (Yes, it’s a cold day as I type this and the heating is effing slow to respond this morning. Sensing a theme of warmth, if not sensing actual warmth.)
   As scribblers, we look for that wonderful thinky stuff everywhere and write it down if we catch sight of a glimmer.
   I’ve encountered tale-tellers who are in another universe. The searing glow from the luminous presence dazzles the vision, leaving an after-image that looks exactly like the scribbler. But that scribbler popped out to the shops for biscuits. All I’m seeing is everything left behind in words, dancing across the internet. Look at a light bulb and look away and you’ll still be staring at the light bulb, even though…
   The bulb popped out to the shops for biscuits. In another universe.

*

With surprise in the hearing of it, I was ambushed by online writers and non-writers who used the f-word and called me friend. An alarming number of people reached for the c-word and called me charming. I’ve been called the other c-word many a time.
   (If you haven’t been called a cunt in Scotland, you haven’t stepped outside your door. In this part of the world, it is a routine form of greeting. If they really like you, they’ll call you a fucking cunt. It’s all just banter until someone takes an axe to you. Then it’s banter…with an axe.)
   I don’t think of myself as charming, and I question the sanity of people who state this of me. As they are writers, I must question their sanity in any case.

*

All of this background material informs my view that I should never meet people off the internet – they are serial killers. Yes, the jaw-dropping writers, the luminous ones, the people who hauled me out of the water to call me a friend. I can’t shake the notion that they are all one sharp axe and a decaying log cabin away from a court-appointed date with destiny.
   That’s just Canadian/American cliché, though. The Canadians and Americans I’ve met online seem to live in cities and not the backwoods. When they aren’t living in armed compounds. You know who you are. Big shout out to you across your walled enclosure. No names – it’s harder to plot drone strikes that way.

*

Why do I think these people live in log cabins, with mass graves out in the backwoods? They are writers. And all writers take bleach to their internet search histories. Writers, far more often than murderers, become unhealthily obsessed with methods of body-disposal.
   There is a healthy level of obsession over methods of body-disposal – it’s about three internet searches in, but you’ll cross the line without even thinking it over. Not a pang of conscience. It’s “research” and not for actual murderising. Anyway…seeking reliable disposal of a body doesn’t automatically mean you offed someone. No, there’s a mere 98% chance of that.

*

How do I appear to these writers? My online persona is that of the perpetual grump, snarling at the world and all its petty nonsenses…but these writers don’t believe any of that guff. With a casual wave, my grizzly bear grump is transformed into the teddy-bear slump. I am dismissed as non-grumpy, and slide under the table…snaffling a few chocolate biscuits as I go.
   Having trouble shaking A.A. Milne from my thoughts.

*

Yes, I’ve been genuinely grumpy on and off. Online and off. If you haven’t pissed people off, you haven’t lived. And if you haven’t pissed people off online, you’ve never been online.
   Occasionally, very rarely, I’ve somehow managed to prove that I am not fictional. I once had this accusation hurled at me…
   You are a real person!
   The author in question was delighted to discover that I wasn’t an artificial intelligence project languishing in an electronic lab, let out onto the internet in search of world domination and great coffee.
   Another author couldn’t decide. Was I an unfeasibly young student treating everything as research for a paper? OR was I the sort of person to set an exam for that type of student, being, instead, a retired American professor? (Complete with Tweedy Outfit and a sideline of investigating murder mysteries. Portrayed by Angela Lansbury/Dick Van Dyke. Delete as inapplicable.)

*

One authorly contact nailed me as an online friend, with the distinction that I wasn’t quite in the real world…the way real-life friends are. I countered with the observation that the hour was late, and I had to return to Cair Paravel for supper with Aslan and the Pevensies.

*

Yes, the internet is in the real world, too, surprise, surprise. Tread far enough from one into the other and you’ll realise that one is patently absurd and nonsensical. The other is patently absurd and nonsensical and online.

*

Why haven’t I met these people on the internet and off the internet as well? Distance. For the Canadians and Americans the distance is great or greater, depending on the coast. My nearest internet contact is on this side of the Atlantic, but still too far away for a casual half-hour visit.
   Planning. Expense. Opportunity. The planning is always there. I accept the expense. But the opportunity isn’t an easy thing to arrange. The closest I came to meeting an author offline was an attempted hijacking, koff, koff, was an invitation to turn up at a concert. For that, a second author decided to fly in and create a literary club rather than treat the whole exercise as an informal meeting.
   But the timing was off, and I was spared the tedium of a transatlantic flight. Travel from here to there is one thing. But travel to and from airports to wait for flights…that’s something else. A something best wiped off the bottom portion of the shoe.

*

I know when I am invited to a town that I am invited to eat out of someone’s fridge. This is unspoken. You are staying with us and all our cats and lizards. Are you allergic to cats and lizards, or bats and wizards? The big question looms.
   What if I turn up and discover that everyone is simply appalling OR that everyone thinks I’m simply appalling and the peasants revolt with flaming torches to hand? I suspect I’d generate that effect by accident.
   It’s a bit much to travel thousands of miles and take up station in a person’s abode on the off-chance that your online persona handled in small doses will match the offline version in living 3D. I know I’d be accused of GREAT RESERVE in flying over and booking into a hotel. And buying touristy tours to go on, just in case everyone is wretched to me. How to fill the hours before the endless flight back to Scotlandia…
   That’s before we get into the business of axes and log cabins.

*

Yes, the prospect of flying to someone’s fridge and then having an awkward hour-long meeting before faking a heart attack and being carried off by a fake ambulance and fake paramedics who must be hired in any event…
   The prospect fills me with gloom. I must accept the expense, of course. Can’t I just fly in, mumble a few words, and eat chocolate cake? We’d all be happy, then.
   There are authors who believe me when I say that I’ve just hired a Scottish actor to impersonate me. It’s that simple. I’m a busty blonde woman in reality.
   That’s not true. But it doesn’t stop authors fearing this is the situation. Don’t you dare. That’s right. I mustn’t dare to be a Scottish actor impersonating a busty blonde woman. No good would come of it. I’d be the talk of the Wikipedia TALK page.

*

And so…

*

Here I am, facing the prospect of meeting an online person in the offline world. The f-word was used to describe me. How do I handle this real-life encounter, bearing in mind that the internet itself is still a subsection of real life…
   Much planning. Acceptable expense. Opporchancity? We’ll see. I’m standing…not sure where I’ll be standing. They’ve taken the map away. (No, seriously. It’ll be back after building work is finished. So I can’t even see a map of how it looked before the building started. That is so online strange.)
   I’m standing…let’s hope I’m standing. Waiting for a sign to pop up overhead. Downloading Online Friend: 9% complete.
   What’s 9% of that? Boots? The boots. Will there be boots? You download online friends into the offline world from the feet up, right? Otherwise, you are into floating head territory. I need to research this a bit more.
   If I go for a meeting with an online person and never return, then I’ve gone shopping for biscuits. In another universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment