RLLauthor@outlook.com and @RLL_author GO TO AMAZON KINDLE STORE AND TYPE RLL. YOU WILL FIND MY BOOKS.

Tuesday 1 January 2019

SENDING BOOKCASES TO LIVE AT A NICE FARM IN THE COUNTRY: A REPORT FROM A FUGITIVE.


They gambol in the fields, those bookcases. The nice farmer sends picture postcards. I’m kept informed. It’s all rather lovely.
   I didn’t dismantle the bookcases in my torture dungeon. Honest.

*

A lie was told there, surely.
   The bookcases truly had to go. I tried keeping them together using all sorts of fiendish tricks. No, I don’t mean keeping them together as a family of three. I mean maintaining structural integrity, uprightness, and holdabookability.
   Borrowing from Comden and Green, the party’s over. The fundamental flaw in bookcase design killed them off in the end. Those bookcases weren’t designed to be moved around once constructed.
   A shift here, a relocation there, a move to the back of beyond and back again…and again and again, over and over again – again – only more so…
   The whirling storm of office updates down the years exacted the ultimate cost. Ask not for whom the bookcase creaks. It creaks for thee.

*

Rest in Pieces, Awkward Bookcases…we hardly knew ye. They are dead – most sincerely so. Oh, I suppose I could resurrect them from the imaginary ashes. I didn’t burn the awkward cases.
   Instead, pulling nails and pretending they were teeth, I dismantled, unscrewed, removed, and cancelled…
   The cracks showed. Revealing the naked underbelly of the bookcases, I discovered the situation was a little shakier than I thought when I shoogled a bookcase here and tested stability there.
   But this isn’t the story of bookcases long-past their best.

*

It is, inevitably, the tale of space vacated. This is the story of floorspace uncovered. It is the saga of finding replacement shelves for books dumped unceremoniously on the carpet.
   The dead bookcases…
   Whoops. No. They live on, in spirit, frolicking in the farmer’s fields…
   The belly-up bookcases live on, in the loft, lying there in bits. I could have them refitted at a small cost. Project for another era.
   Those deceased bookcases were half-size, located under the windows. They just coasted into place and no more. Perfect size. Ideal height. But move them, well…
   Never move them.
   You learn freely with ease and you learn the hard way to your cost. Both forms of learning are, sadly, valid.

*

I moved swiftly. Other half-sized bookshelves were all over the place, curling around each other for warmth. Out came the tape. Down went the figures. Scribble scribble, scratch, shaky diagram, miscalculation, measure twice and measure some more…
   The casualty in liberating floorspace is the imprisonment of wallspace. I killed three half-sized bookcases at the window, and more half-sized units, bookcases, and strange items rushed in to secure the territory.
   And that liberated a few sections of wall elsewhere…if I took pictures down. Down they came. I now have four full-sized bookcases where half-sized articles lurked before.

*

Once more, I elude the danger of saturation. You reach the point of no return all over again, and tread beyond the natural limit of things for a short time. It’s a dangerous pirouette.
   This year, clearing bookshelves takes on a different meaning. Usually, clearing a bookshelf means finishing the last of the unread books on that shelf. But I’ve been all over the place with storage. Looking around the shelves in front of me, I see STUFF perched here, balanced there, or “temporarily” stored yonder.
   Permanent features start out as temporary affairs. I must clear these shelves of items that are, bluntly, not books. There’s a box of bulbs – light, not daffodil. What’s that bottle of glue doing, sitting there? Gluing itself to the bookcase, clearly. Well, it dries clearly.
   How did it get to this? Gradually. An answer that covers a growing multitude of bookcase sins. Fear not, readers. I don’t store food there. Not yet.

*

Festive cards are time-stamped. They go soon. I can’t do anything about the bottom shelf to my right – it’s set up to carry the plugs for my computer. The office is a paperless office. (Insert rabid laughter here.) And the office is a cableless office, too. (Continue rabid laughter here. Try not to trip over the cables.)
   These Blu-Ray discs need to go somewhere else, though. I should just bite the bullet and go digital in film and book. But I can’t do that – what would I do without physical books on cases? It’s only the weight of all these dead trees that keeps the carpet in place.
   I couldn’t allow DAYLIGHT back into the writer’s crypt. Look what happened to Max Schreck in that F.W. Murnau documentary.

*

Yes, some things that aren’t books must, by law, remain on the bookshelves. What else would I do with my Spider Glass? I can’t leave that lying around the kitchen. The glass has played temporary home to a legion of spiders and lions and bugs, oh my.
   I keep meaning to add a label to the glass, saying SPIDER GLASS. Clue’s in the title. You may suspect, but, if you must know…
   The Spider Glass contains a fold of paper. These items serve as a spider trap. The Spider Glass does whatever a spider trap can. First, spot your spider. Next, curse your spider for stopping at an awkward spot high on the wall.
   Your stepladder is always in another room. If you leave to fetch the ladder, your steps are bound to set up warning vibrations – alerting the arachnid. No go. Instead, teeter on tiptoe with the Spider Glass at the ready.
   Pop the glass over that spider. Slide your fold of paper under the glass. Whisk the contraption outside, and deposit the arachnid in the wild.
   That’s the short version. There’s usually more of a struggle, with the odd threat to life and limb. If you don’t hear from me again, a spider got me. A spider got me to throw myself carelessly down the effing stairs and the glass shattered across my throat.

*

The Spider Glass must stay in place on the bookcase, with the warning piece of paper inside. I could write Spider Glass on the paper, warning people off. My heart’s not in it. Besides, I know the purpose served by the glass with the fold of paper inside.
   Readers of this blog who find themselves in my company are forewarned, and need never fear accidentally quaffing a libation from the Spider Glass. There’s a remote chance that a visitor might seize the Spider Glass in a fit of madness and rush to the sink for a thirst-quenching session that takes in whatever invisible spider shit happens to be in the receptacle at the time…
   I, for one, think the possibility unlikely.

*

Anyway, I’ve freed up wallspace by liberating floorspace, and the films sitting on my bookcases here will soon open their plastic cases and flit, batlike, to a far-off stamping-ground.
   Yes, I know I’ve bought the last of the very last of the last-ever lastest final never-again no more lastestest latestest bookcases. And I’ve hefted them, danced with them, narrowly avoided being butted in the head by them…
   The only difference this time around was the use of an electric screwdriver to cut assembly down to something resembling an aeon.

*

Every single time a new bookcase arrives, there’s the opporchancity to review the array of books on the old bookcases. Can I finally take that one awkward book and reorganise half a library just to fit the bloody thing upright instead of in that unfortunate yoga position the tome adopted?
   Maybe.
   And that is the long answer, as well as the short one. Buying a bookcase isn’t about placing new books on new shelves. It’s all about easing the congestion elsewhere. How long before I reach saturation again?

*

Sooner than I think, I think.
   I bought a few more digital books this past year. Not many. A few. Book-buying shifted again, into different types of physical book. I bought a lot of rulebooks for boardgames, so that I could run my boardgaming channel on the YouTube…
   Sadly, these slim rulebooks are accompanied by bulky games. There seems no way around that arrangement. (I downloaded a lot of digital rulebooks, read them, and deleted them if I thought the games no good. Saved me a lot of bad purchases.)
   There are no boardgames on bookshelves here in the office. (Okay, there’s once small card game in a bag, perched on a few jazz albums. And a prop statue with a gaming theme. That’s all. Apart from the prop watch. And two parts of a Terminator model from a cheap boardgame. The glue isn’t for use with that model.)
   No boardgames here in this office. (Fifth edition D&D sits on the studio table, but that’s not a bookshelf. And I never use the table as a bookshelf or impromptu storage area between video shoots. Honest.)
   My library is split between three rooms. I could consolidate, and shift all of the fiction and non-fiction books into Library One from Library Two, and then move all of the games out of Library One to form a game library…
   But that means altering the height of adjustable shelves to account for game boxes in one location and altering the height of adjustable shelves to cram more fiction books into place…
   That’s a lot of adjusting. Truth be told, I prefer to wander from one room full of books to another room full of books…

*

And that means reintroducing the writerly rule. An author’s library is not a library in the conventional sense. Books are not stored alphabetically. They are stored where they damn-well fit in.
   Pauses to think hard about the next bit…
   No, I am fine. I am living carpet-clear now. Books are on shelves, and all is right with the reading world. There was a carpet migration, back in the depths of time. Do not store your books on carpets – store your books on dead trees on top of carpets. The alternative is to stack books freely, and that way madness lies.
   Madness and a peculiar death brought about by a bookalanche triggered on hunting a particularly devious spider. We’ve all been there…we’ve all died like that. And then recovered at the last gasp, also a last grasp, seizing the one piece of stable stone in the place and clinging to it for dear life.
   Spiders, I am informed, never have that problem themselves. It’s a technical thing: they just don’t go around trying to trap humans under glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment