RLLauthor@outlook.com and @RLL_author GO TO AMAZON KINDLE STORE AND TYPE RLL. YOU WILL FIND MY BOOKS.

Saturday 2 March 2019

MOVING A LOADED BOOKCASE: A REPORT FROM A FUGITIVE.


Restructuring. I moved a bookshelf. Turned it sideways. That’s it.

*

The chair died. I leaned back in it. Too far. Must have had a screw loose. And the chair, too. I typed that so you wouldn’t have to say it. Time to adjust…what the hell?! The base plate was cracked, creating all that leeway. Time for a new chair. The same model of chair? No. A different chair. Swivel? Of course. It’s the only way to fly.

*

An office chair must meet essential legal requirements. Vitally, it has to be easy to build. (It never fucking is. I almost ripped off a knuckle building the new chair up into a usable state.) Even more vitally, it must fit in. This is the tricky part. Office physics.
   The first thing I did, on seeing the crack in the chair, was reach for the tape. I measured available floorspace. This is important when your chair sits in a neuk. Then it was off to chairlandsville, a place on the interwebs, to hunt down a wild seat with the proper requirements.
   Revolving. Of course. With space not terribly spacey, I automatically ignored chairs with arms on them. Until I saw a chair with arms that folded up. Sit in the chair. Slide forward on those castors. Engage desk engines. Away we go. And then…
   Finished with desk. Push back in chair. Lift folding arm, swivel chair, eject from office…okay, sounds like a plan. Now measure the shit out of that fucking seat. Measure, measure, measure…

*

Yes, on paper it almost worked. Never good enough, is it?
   The neuk I created for this computer and that desk…was too neukish for my chosen chair. There are corner brackets at the floor, and on top of the cases, keeping my bookcases together in very tight formation as they curve around this space.
   It’s all rather neat. And awkward to change.
   The last case in the line was a bookcase too far. New chair didn’t want to know, on paper. I undid the screws and shoogled the final bookcase out of its floor fixing without unloading a single book.
   This is a skill acquired through millions of years of bookfolly, endless piling of pagement, and untold toil related to wordation.
   Moving loaded bookcases is not for professionals. It’s only for amateurs. There’s a risk of being killed, on a level with being hit by lightning…possible, though unlikely, but…if it happens, you’ve been blasted. I didn’t move the case far. This was more of a swivel on the spot to turn the case flat against its neighbour.
   Professional types will unload bookcases first, the fools.
   With that wobbly move out of the way, there was now just enough room for the new chair…which I then ordered in. The end bookcase is solid in place. There’s space to slide and swivel and turn and sit and stand and all those regular office things that go with chairs.
   The room is still divided into office neuk and studio space. Usually I must plan for days before moving bookcases around, and I make use of at least three rooms as stages on which to drop off and from which to pick up. It’s all about securing far-off space for books to congregate in, followed by securing nearby space to flit the bookcases through.
   This latest change to the office was a major one that called for minor adjustment. As long as there’s room for a chair, and I can drink coffee without resorting to gymnastics, I’ll do okay.

*

Wait. Were there no knock-on effects? Normally, we have to run office changes by Newton’s treasured law – for each and every action there is an equal and opposite crash of a train through your delicate plans. I quote loosely from the general text.
   No. There weren’t any knock-on effects. This time, all I did was move one bookcase around a bit and then I had room for the new chair. The avalanche from a snowball never happened this time. Why not? I believe it’s thanks to all the other avalanches I went through.
   It’s staggering to think that I have moved the absolute eternal fuck out of the furniture. There’s very little left to change, now. Once you cut a hole in the back of a bookcase to accommodate cables, you know you’ve done just about everything.
   In moments of madness, I consider wall-mounting or ceiling solutions for the studio lights in here. Setting the studio lights up on walls or on the ceiling gives me more floorspace. However, instinct tells me to stick to the tripods and stumble through the studio doing my contortionist act just to switch the lights on.
   All the electrical devices conveniently merged with extensions, oh, long ago. I even took the time to uncover a buried electrical socket to assist in my mad quest to fix space problems. These maintenance matters are of the past, and needn’t concern me.
   I’ve played the bookcase game to the point of saturation so many times, and it’s a losing game…how could it not be? There are only temporary victories in the war against fleets of incoming books. I think hard about this, and remember a massive reorganisation from a bajillion books ago.
   Sometimes, all you can do is take the Skyscraper Option. Build up the way. The shorter metal cases came down and the taller wooden cases climbed up. I thought I wouldn’t have to shuffle things around again for a long time. A lie was told there, surely.
   Yes, I had more space on more shelves. But the illusion of space is a trap. It’s an ambush you’ve set yourself. I simply ended up moving taller bookcases around, despite all that extra space I’d allegedly gained. How am I doing, in terms of space? Have I reached saturation yet again? No.
   Will it take me long to reach saturation yet again? Hard to say. Incoming boardgames, for use on the YouTube channel, now threaten saturation in ways that I never considered when dealing with mere hardback books. But I planned ahead for the influx of low-flying boardgames. When I handled books, I endured and endured and endured some more before relenting and reorganising. Madness, I know.
   So things are definitely different, now. Book-buying is down. I’m finally seeing a slight upswing in digital book purchases. There are always things that can go bye-bye. First to fall are paintings or posters on the walls, as I reclaim the space and build up to the ceiling.
   I won’t claim all the major moves are done. But I recognise that I’ve made minor bookcase moves, technical adjustments, and electrical alterations that helped avoid having to spend a week of my life shuffling books around one last time, one more time, all over again.
   It’s the space against a wall that goes, long before I contemplate sending books out of the house. There’s a balance, and it goes like this…

Considers giving books away.
(Bahahahahahahahaha!)
Measures room for new bookcase.
(Bahahahahahahahaha!)

   I find it easier to reach for the tape than for a box to drop books into. That’s as it should be. Oh, I am no hoarder. It is easy enough to escape from the house in the event of a disaster. That view contributes to my definition of hoarder.
   You will always have unread books on your shelves. Book hoarders are not compulsive buyers of tomes, but, rather, compulsive storers of books, with a vast volume of volumes at their non-disposal. If you buy a load of books and place them on bookshelves, you are not a hoarder. No.
   If you buy a load of books and stack them in rooms, to the extent that you can’t leave any of those rooms in under a minute, then you are hoarding. Let us suppose, for a moment, that you march your books up the stairs, around the corner, and into the rooms up there, narrowing an already-slim hallway as though the hall is an artery clogged by booklesterol. No, that is not a word.


   Death, by a thousand books. I must stress that the scene pictured does not depict my book collection.
   There is no saving you from the dreaded bookalanche. Accept your fate with as much dignity as you can muster, as the massed ranks doom you to a dusty demise.
   I have dozens of books nestling in each bookcase. To hoard books, I’d rip a bookcase out and store hundreds of volumes in the same space – unable to gain easy access to most of the hoarded stories. Casually, I wonder at the storage capacity of floorboards, the breaking-point, and believe I am nowhere near the limit.
   If there’s a crash and you never hear from me again, I’ll have crossed a line imposed by physics. The only thing left to ponder is the nature of the book that breaks the floor’s spine. Knowing my literary choices, the book that brings collapse will be witty, and, in a sense of irony, must fall into the category of rather light reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment