RLLauthor@outlook.com and @RLL_author GO TO AMAZON KINDLE STORE AND TYPE RLL. YOU WILL FIND MY BOOKS.

Friday 11 November 2022

DORI SEDA - GAP-TOOTHED ARTIST: A REPORT FROM A FUGITIVE.

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before. Cartoonist, short of ideas, has to fill the blank page before the sands of time run out. Draws herself drawing herself, filling one panel. The story is…the cartoonist is short of ideas, and has to fill the blank page before the sands of time run out.
   Cartoonist takes a break to grab food. That’s good for at least another two panels. A skilled operator can parlay this edible move up into double that with a waffly retread of literally going back to the drawing board.
   Next panel. Cartoonist turns to audience and explains where her ideas come from. There’s a mention of a deadline. (Cue cartoonist now with back to the audience, staring out at a New York sunset. Cartoonist lives in a flat in Shireshire, England, but gets another five panels out of the imaginary New York transition anyway.)


*


And I’ve managed four paragraphs and a tenth of the blog post from…waffling about a cartoonist doing the old dog-ate-my-artwork sketch. This is a good ploy if you are six years old and must write a one-page story with really really big looping handwriting helping you out on the padding side of things.
   Note to the believers: this doesn’t actually work if you are six years old. I stared in disbelief at the writing of those believers, looping their letters like stricken biplanes trailing smoke and flames in the First World War. You’ve flown your Sopwith Pencil over half of France just to write three words.
   I find myself a third of the way into the month, after vowing to blog by the second of November at the latest, and still no blog post. Things get in your way. You stumble into icebergs and trip over autumn leaves. That polar bear comes calling for coffee. There’s tidying. But there’s always tidying.
   If things look too tidy, there’s something wrong. I’m tempted to knock over a stack of things, just to avoid the tidiness of too much tidiness. But that’s folly, and the world knows this. I hit on the idea of blogging about something that suddenly takes unfeasible amounts of research.
   Checks notes.
   That stalled blog is half a blog. Out of semi-nowhere, yesterday, I conjured half a blog from airy nothingness and fairy gossamer. And I just had to fucking stop. There was too much to say, and a pile to research, just for a blog with nothing much to say.
   I bought a book. It was damaged by smoke. This led to many tangents and much fact-checking. I concluded I couldn’t complete the blog within the span of a single day – I had other commitments.
   And so. Did you ever hear about the cartoonist, short of ideas…
   I could find a specific example. But that means crawling through the stacks of books and firing up a scanner. I can at least go and look, just to prove to myself that the book is in the same place.
   It shouldn’t be possible to lose track of a book in here, but I was once trapped in my library. This makes me sound like Marcus Brody, who managed to get lost in his own museum.
   Checks bookshelves.
   Okay, clambers over things and reaches the exact shelf to check bookshelves. I call that a win.
   Passed Marcus Brody on the way back.
   Well, that padded another line. Also, I didn’t fire up the scanner. I used the camera instead. And that padded another another line.
   We have a winner: Dori Stories, which gives us the artist on the front cover drawing art as a means of padding out the story. Mission accomplished. I was writing about a smoke-bedecked book of selected letters: Raymond Chandler, the culprit. This took too long.



But here I am, one day later, taking a detour into the work of Dori Seda. Also deceased as I type, along with Raymond Chandler, but who knows…maybe Dori just died “retired from public life” to live out the rest of her vampire existence in private.
   Dori had a thing for vampires in her comic strips. And she was very close to her dog.
   Checks notes.
   I’ve mentioned Raymond Chandler in eight blog posts, including this one. But this is a first for Dori Seda. I should have mentioned her sooner. She was an artist of the 80s who couldn’t leave the 80s. Dori was dead and gone by the time I flitted through her loose vampire-stomping turf in the Mission District of San Francisco.
   Told you I made up that New York sunset.
   In reality, sticking with the vampirism, Dori was more likely to witness a San Francisco moonrise. She was an artist who was an artist before she became an artist. Her interest in ceramics, coupled with smoking, and lung problems aggravated by her ceramic work, took her away far too soon.
   I can see her carving a career out of ceramics, constructing those seashell-like fancies, without ever turning to her blank drawing board. But comics lured her with the siren call. She was in the right place at the right time to be accepted for the style of panel stories she told.
   And I’ve reached that point, the point at which my Raymond Chandler blog stalled. Words dissolved in research at this point yesterday. Write a blog within a day if it requires great research. But write a blog in a single sitting if you can.
   This blog post, casually referencing Dori Seda, doesn’t require much toil by way of study. (Something of which Dori would doubtless approve.)
   After all, she made it easy for me to make a reference by putting her artistic struggle on the cover of the book I sought. She didn’t do that. People who cared about her work did that on her behalf, and…
   Okay, I interrupted myself by picking the book up and checking the price. Yours for $19.95 on the edition that found its way into the stacks. What does that cost now?


 

Jesus Christ, Fenton!
   Two grand for this book. And £2.80 delivery. A steal. No. Wait. Fuck that. This is a deal-breaker. Should be free delivery. Don’t buy it, folks. It’s a trap.
   Flitting through the book, I come to a photo-story about Dori starring as Sylvia Silicosis. Fucking hell, that’s too close to the fucking bone. But that’s her, all right, down to the quick of the nail. In the abandoned Raymond Chandler piece, I made the point that biography only gives you a sketch of a person.
   “Harsh but obvious fact: no biography truly covers a life.”
   And this is true of the compilation on my bookshelves. We have immediate visual access to Dori and her cat-bedecked ceramic pieces. Many of her drawings are inhabited by vampires people with pronounced incisors. And so it goes.
   She’d have loved and hated the digital art world in unequal measure. I guess she’d have sat through the Ghost World movie or the Crumb documentary thinking, there’s Zwigoff making movies. Who did he fuck to get the movie dollars for that?
   With Zwigoff directing the documentary on Crumb, there’s a feeling that the two are just having a reunion of Crumb’s band, the Cheap Suit Serenaders...in which Zwigoff played on cello and borrowed time. Terry Zwigoff is the kind of character who couldn’t get the money together to make a Dori Seda movie that wouldn’t do justice to Dori Seda anyway.
   It is only through the power of the interwebs, and possibly Castle Grayskull, that I found my way to the sound of R. Crumb’s voice. He’s been preserved in digital aspic, on a BBC radio slot known as Sweet Shellac, that you can find on The YouTubes.
   On a semi-regular basis, Crumb would announce Hello, folks, tell you who he was, and then dip into the nostalgia of Jug Bands. Not the sort of jugs Crumb’s art is known for. At least the radio slots are listenable. Zwigoff’s documentary on the Crumb family is eerily watchable for an unwatchable document.
   But where do we go for the merest glimpse of Dori Seda? Not hard to track down, now. She drew the poster for Gap-Toothed Women, a short documentary on that subject by Les Blank, Maureen Gosling, Chris Simon, and Susan Kell.
   Dori died about a year after appearing in the documentary, and, being Dori, she pretty much had to fight to be included as a gap-toothed woman in a documentary about gap-toothed women.
   We can access the snippet featuring her poster art on vimeo. Dori was excluded from the final documentary, but final is a relative term to artists. She dropped in, explained her worth as a comic book scribe, and would’ve sashayed out with her dog by her side if they’d had time to film nonsense of that stripe. Well. Damn.
   She was very close to that dog, though. We know this from the immortality granted to Tona in the comic strips. Maybe there was an earlier dog named Day. Now Dori haunts my bookshelves, asking if vimeo is a dirty word...and, if not…why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment