RLLauthor@outlook.com and @RLL_author GO TO AMAZON KINDLE STORE AND TYPE RLL. YOU WILL FIND MY BOOKS.

Tuesday 2 August 2022

BLOGGING MAINTENANCE: A REPORT FROM A FUGITIVE.

What did I learn from scrolling through all of my blog posts? I didn’t learn to hate Blogger – that hate was already there from, oh, using Blogger.
   Generally, once a blog post is up, yes, it stays up.
   Specifically, any post is open to revision.
   If I misremember wrongly, I took one post down after I’d published ahead of time by mistake. But, come the hour, it went back online. And, for contractual reasons, I’ve removed a bunch of posts in series…but not completely. Digital tombstones remain where those entries once sat.
   Yes, a handful of posts had to go. They are still on file – when you hit the unpublish button, those entries scurry back through that hole in the skirting. As I type this, I have two dozen blog posts in cryogenic freezing chambers on Blogger.
   There are also posts I never published. For one reason or another, a post can be eclipsed by events. What seemed relevant last night can feel dead in the water for reasons of mood and tone this morning. Occasionally, I take a second stab at an unpublished post and I release the second one while the first stays on ice.
   That can be useful for comparison purposes backstage.
   So much for posts being up.
   As for posts staying open to revision…
   I fix major changes and add a comment about those big changes. Minor changes happen when I realise something is a bit off, and I go back in with the bandages. No need to broadcast those tiny alterations.
   Hyperlinks are always suspect. I sweep over the landscape with my metal detector, and defuse the landmines I find.
   If I’m linking to other blog posts of mine, then, no, the links are not suspect at all. But if I link out to the YOUTUBES on the INTERWEBS, or maybe even the Wikipedia on the World Wide Super-information Side-Street just to read an entry on THE STAR WARS…
   Then the particular song video/retrospective review/irritating rant might no longer be there – victim of a copyright strike. And so. Hyperlinks are always suspect.
   I sweep over the landscape with my metal detector, and defuse the landmines I find. Occasionally, there’s an explosion…
 

*


Blogger is the cause of much bloggery, to which I say…bloggeration! I type these posts the same way: in a file. No, I don’t type into Blogger directly. Doing that allows a plague of annoyances through the door. Landmines explode.
   I’ve been in Blogger often enough, arranging formatting, to catch the newsflash that Blogger’s autosave function is not reliable. Error messages warn me of the nuclear meltdown. This is always annoying. But it would be a catastrophic meltdown if I wrote raw text in there and lost it.
   Time for a technical term…
   Fuck that shit.
   So. Same empty file and layout each time. The same font and the same size of font each time. And yet, when I drop the text into Blogger and set THE SAME SIZE OF TEXT each time, the same size of text doesn’t always appear in the finished product.
   Colour me stunned.
   Scrolling through the latest batch of blog posts and working my way back to the start, I see that the size of text online varies by the phase of the moon, the howl of the wolf, or the direction of a chilly wind.
   This slight variation from post to post…I daresay I could fix. But I am done with trying to purify endless Blogger glitches of the minor variety. Looking over one post that called for a slight update, I saw there were a few lines of text dancing to an unknown tune.
   How to describe that effect without just copying and pasting and then infecting this
        wholly separate entry?
        I guess I could
        tab my way through
        a few lines to give an
        example of that
        off-kilter experience.
   However, unlike the tab – easy enough to delete – the glitchy gremlin stays stuck in its own or someone else’s invisible concrete. I wasn’t in there to fix that bitch of a glitch, scratching that itch, but something else needed updated. Update done, I left the glitch alone and went on to study more blog posts. All the blog posts.
   Yes, I repeat phrases with great deliberation. Repetition as theme across many blog posts is acceptable. I’ll tolerate repetition for poetic, comedic, or thematic effect. Songs are poems set to tunes. And beyond those milestones, my tolerance for repetition evaporates.

 

*

 

What else? This is not a major minor news outlet or a drama cesspool. Occasionally I’ve dipped into the murky world of publishing drama over in the romance book genre, and other areas besides. Romance book writers who lose their shit with alarming regularity do so either…
   After deciding to trademark the basic bitch title of a basic bitch book they’ve written…
   Or…
   Fall apart when avid readers uncover the industrial-strength levels of plagiarism going on from book to book.
   Romance readers are rabid avid readers. They will find you out. And blab to the world. By plagiarism, I mean outright copy-and-paste theft with a name-replacement thrown in as a lick of paint that fools no one.
   For sound legal reasons, I’d advise never to put out someone else’s Big Gay Firefighter Romance with Chad Turner changed to Brad Turner all the way through. Switching one (headless) rippling torso cover for another will fool no one. Your unaltered description of the firefighter’s powerful hose is often the giveaway.
   And for entirely different sound legal reasons, I beg of you, never ever in the history of history, attempt to copyright or trademark a title. If you are still hell-bent on that lunatic course of action, fucking read copyright and trademark law. And then never embark on that lunatic course of action.
   Carrying a (much-copied) albatross around a weary neck for the rest of eternity? Not worth the fizziness of the drama. They will find you out and hound you, those rabid readers. Quite right, too.
   Yes, occasionally, I’ve covered dramatic incidents from the online world. But I discover more drama in the behind-the-scenes areas and say nothing on a regular basis. Quite right, too. I leave it to others whose stock-in-trade is exposing those who already bared their arseholes to the internet.
   After one romance writer froths at the mouth and goes slack-jawed trying to copyright, trademark, or “liberate” a title, you’ve pretty much learned all you can stomach about the sheer fucking fuckwittery of people who didn’t take legal advice first, second, and last.
   “I’ve decided to trademark Quivering Lips™. Now I will deliver an opporchancity to all romance writers everywhere. Yes, I’m going to charge you rent on that phrase.”
   Acidic response…
   “Hi, Basic Bitch Romance Author. I notice that you are trying to fleece the rest of us with your Bullshit Ploy®. Not complaining. Just letting you know that my twelve-book Quivering Lips® saga is now on sale everywhere, including at the concession stand inside your own bathroom.”
   “The audacity!”
   “Just be sure, when writing about quivering lips, that you are writing about the right set of lips. I registered my trademark on the other pair. No, my romance novels don’t stop at the bedroom door. My books start there and dive straight to the raunchy point. Which is the Clitoris™.”
   If you want drama, fucking write something fucking dramatic. Don’t be fucking dramatic.

 

*

 

For many reasons, a few of my blog posts weren’t of standard length. My variable rule is that I’ll write at least 1,500 words when I can. Writing over the finish-line is acceptable.
   The main change to the blog was shifting from weekly writing to monthly writing. I used to be fired up on a Sunday night as I wrote Monday morning’s blog post. Routine changed that. Also, it’s been a long while since I arranged half a dozen blog posts in advance, set to go off when Blogger’s alarm rang its electronic delivery warning.
   But I still blog regularly…almost always within the first week of the month, unless busy. Then it’ll be in the second week of the month, most likely. This is the routine now, and it’s been the routine for what feels like eternity.
   Staring at blog post after blog post as I scrolled and scrolled, I thought of so many other people who blogged about writing. Yes, I blog less. But blog I still do. It’s a shame to see people fall by the wayside. Life intrudes. No fault or blame there.
   I blogged because I wanted to keep blogging. Looking for something of note to blog about, I’d research all the arcane corners of the world. Keeps your mind busy. You connect five things and engage the brain while doing so. Out pour the words. You have a deadline, and a minimum word-limit. Time on your hands. A blank page to fill.
   Staring slack-jawed into the distance with no thought to occupy you…
   That’s a sign of too much coffee. Or not enough. I’m going with…not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment