RLLauthor@outlook.com and @RLL_author GO TO AMAZON KINDLE STORE AND TYPE RLL. YOU WILL FIND MY BOOKS.

Thursday 20 August 2020

NEW COMPUTER VERSUS OLD OFFICE: A REPORT FROM A FUGITIVE.


I’ve run many offices out of cramped quarters. They were near-clones of each other. Common features? A chair at a desk or table. The computer, the screen, the keyboard, the mouse, and the printer…all present and mostly correct.
   To this day, the office remains papery. I reduce the use of dead trees and almost go paperless, until I am overwhelmed by a sudden surge in rectangular sheets that takes me back to the old ways.
   Well. Damn.
   I’ve gone about as hi-tech as I can run – the printer is wireless and sits in a different room, with actual room for it there. But I never quite manage to be 100% paperless. There is a printer in this room – I only use the scanner part of that machine. Yes, there’s always a need for paper. I scan stuff into the digital world, in imitation of the movie TRON.
   No, I don’t have a big eff-off laser or a massive vault door. One day, sigh.
   We’ll always need paper. Even if it’s just toilet paper. I have a roll of that handy, to mop up spillages that threaten to turn my chair into an electrical one if the rising tide consumes the cables. As more time passes, the cables grow longer and snakier and cablier…not less-so. If I went completely wireless, I’d be my own radio station.
   The computer sits to the left in one office. Now it’s on the right in the revamped writing lair of another set-up. Here, in an earlier incarnation, it’s still under the desk in the flashback I’m having. There, it’s on a chest of drawers next to the table and I’m being inventive with the cabling. The cable creature is the hydra-headed monster that grows two new cables for each old cable I ditch.
   As I type, I moved the new computer from under the desk to the right of the desk for around five minutes and…now, for however long NOW is, I’ve settled on a platform to the left of the desk. Low, the machine perches on a TV stand chosen for its ability to fit in the lack of space not available.
   I’m in the process of clearing the bookshelves of non-book things. Living clean, now. No gadgets amidst the stacks, away with clutter, why would I perch spare shoelaces there anyway…and so on. The TV and desk both block very easy access to the lower shelves, but those hidden planks are taken up by the cabling. Of course.
   Still with me, long into the digital age, is my reference shelf. Twenty books. There were nineteen tomes when the reference section sat, loosely, atop a small bookcase. The rule of the bookcase is simple.
   That topmost area of the wooden frame is also for books. The low bookcase just squeezed in, and made for a great stage on which my reference works strolled and acted.
   Storm after storm shook the office. And with each organisational tornado, shelves rose and whirled and flew and settled. I kept the doorstopper books on the ends, without support, to hold everything else in place.
   Now and again another bookcase acted as a default bookend of sorts, buttressing the reference works. Storms came and storms went. The reference section remained intact. Fossilised, as it turned out. I left the reference relic to sparkle, in amber, as the easy lure of the internet made it more convenient to cross-reference items.
   Today, the reference shelf is a little longer, and higher up, on an entirely different bookcase within easy sight and reach. Living on a wider bookcase, nineteen books accepted a twentieth into the ranks when I picked up a new reference work.
   A papery refugee, struggling to find a home.
   They stand, tight-packed, in there. Those books. No matter how the office is arranged, the reference shelf survives. As technology advances, the reference shelf endures. Just this minute, I’ve added eight tiny dictionaries to the reference shelf.
   Those micro-books are held in place by a large dictionary in what is now the back row. No, I don’t know how many dictionaries I own. I’m sure there are others, somewhere else. Yes, I was once trapped behind a bookcase. But I survived to have another coffee.
   Moving books from shelf to shelf is a tricky prospect. Many books loom over my workspace. I sleep on the other side of this great divide. One day, I’ll be found dead under the collected works of Dorothy L. Sayers.
   A clear slipcase of murder.
   Moving books around shelves is a tricky prospect for reasons of memory. I’m engaged in wordy toil over movies at the minute, and I was reading up on The Matrix when a name jumped off the page at me.
   That name collided with the bookcase to my immediate left. Over the past month, I’ve been accused, by three separate sources, of being surrounded by bookcases as I sit in a high-backed chair next to a roaring fire…
   Smoking-jacket, optional. Tobacco-products, not in evidence. I’m suspected of swilling brandy, most likely just for the atmospheric effect. A Mary Shelley Level of Rain™ rattles off the windows, and another lump of coal cracks and splits dramatically…
   The truth is, it’s been a good while since I sat in a high-backed chair next to a roaring fire with a shelf of books to hand…but, yes, there’s a grain of reality on that fictional beach. No smoking-jacket. The room contained an empty brandy glass. Rain rattled off the windows.
   But the real truth is…as I type, I am hemmed-in by the too-tall bookshelves that will one day deliver a succession of fatal blows from the typewriter of Dorothy L. Well, if you have to go…go dramatically, with a hint of murder and mystery.
   In other words, I’ll have vanished, on the run, after killing them all.
   My reference shelf grew based on what would fit in. A biographical dictionary sits next to an Atlas. Then there’s a dictionary on artists. Wikipedia and Google Maps are closer to hand. I’ve entered, or exited, The Matrix too many times to know what’s real.
   Another author tells me that there is still room in life for picking up a book and checking a reference. And I agree…if only to assist in keeping the fruits of my research sound exactly like everyone else’s browsing of Wikipedia.
   Top tip. On Wikipedia, I read the Talk pages as well. Mostly for the humour.

*

The last time a maintenance man was in here, he declared that someone likes to read, and left it at that. The library changes in the sense that the library grows. Bless your heart if you thought I cleared the stacks at intervals. Away with your heresy.
   That business of change is an easy business. Far trickier is the puzzle over ensuring things stand still. When the old computer dies, electronic koff, digital splutter, you move to a new computer.
   It works fresh out of the box, but it’s not the same. That’s the bloody trouble. You must house-train the young pup. Teach the new dog all the old tricks by installing familiar software. Not to go all Yogi Berra on you, but I think we’ve been here before.
   I endured a month of computer disruption. Two weeks crawled along as I used my old retired computer. At least this was familiar. I’d ported the look, the layout, and the software from the retirement home computer to the dust-free model all that time before, after all.
   Familiar, but slow – like a much-favoured brand of treacle. My computer died and I took a familiar-looking computer out of retirement. Now it was time to pass the grandfather layout to the grandson.
   But. That’s all digital. Making the new computer set-up so familiar that it resembles the computer before and the computer before that. Going back further, it was more like an offshoot of the family with little resemblance.
   This is where I came in…
   I’ve run many offices out of cramped quarters. They were near-clones of each other. Common features? A chair at a desk or table. The computer, the screen, the keyboard, the mouse, and the printer…all present and mostly correct.
   Out of the box, the new computer was a magnificent thing. As long as I had a monitor it recognised. That was sheer luck, Jeeves. And gradually, week upon week, I transformed the faster machine into a racehorse I recognised. The old racing colours flew again. That desktop is the old desktop once more.
   But.
   The new machine was…bigger as well as faster. Adding an extra reference book to my reference shelf was possible only after the transfer of the entire collection from a small bookcase to a large bookcase with longer shelves.
   I had a case problem. The new computer case was just a bit too big for the space available. Solution? Okay, I reached for a hacksaw. So what? This is what you have to do when you really have to do stuff.
   Briefly…(too late.) The old system was sideways. You walked in, turned left, shut the door, and sat in the chair. My computer sat on an old TV unit that barely fit into the alcove of bookshelves. I am, sadly, still clearing up those shelves so there are only books and hardly any clutter. Yes, I tidied. And yes, I’ve untidied the shelves all over again.
   The old TV unit wasn’t tall enough. I needed an overhang for the keyboard. In comes the upright desk thing. Whatever the gadget is called. It lets you stand at a computer and type. Height is adjustable. I had the wooden TV unit with the upright desk thing on top, and the computer itself sat down inside the glass door of the TV unit.
   Fine. It worked. Cables were all over the place and then some. But it worked and I didn’t care how it worked. So much for the Olden Times. It worked. Until the new computer arrived. And the new casing for the PC was just a shade too large to put under the TV unit inside that glass door. Not total glass. Wooden frame with a pane of glass in there.
   Right. I’m stuck with a huge unit and a too-huge computer. Is there a solution? Yes, if you chase after one. When you shut the wooden frame of the door, it buts up against a crossbar. That support is there to make the door fit snugly. It was loose. (I’ve put it back together again, and it is still loose.)
   I decided to pry this slat out. No bother. The computer now had enough of a gap to fit in there. Terrific. Only problem…the computer case was too fucking long. What to do? It is essential, if you have a library stacked with dead trees, to possess some spare bookcase shelves. Obviously, I have spares.
   Short and narrow, two of these spare planks would fit under the case and act as a platform allowing the case’s annoying feet to rest evenly and safely…
   Well, sign me up to that shit.
   Problem I see in my near-future. The two shelves together are narrow, and will slide around from right to left if I bump into the whole arrangement. UNLESS I fill the gap down the side with two pieces of wood cut just right. And I have a piece of wood left over from a chunk of packaging.
   All I need is a hacksaw. I hack and I saw. There is some measuring, of course. You can’t go around with a hacksaw, willy-nilly. It’s just not done. When the dust settles, what do I have? There are two planks of wood forming a makeshift platform, inside this cupboard area. They are jammed in solid by the wooden bracing pieces I’ve cut up…
   The computer slides in on this contraption and all is fine. It’s terrific. EXCEPT…
   Oh. For. The. Sake. Of. Fuck.
   This machine has a glass panel at the front. Which means all the USB ports are at the back, as expected. And all the front USB ports are on top instead of the standard arrangement. I truly need the two front ones for various gadgets.
   BUT. The top of the computer case is a shade TOO TALL. It nestles just barely under the extending desk arrangement that holds the TV monitor. The only way to access the USB is by extending the extending desk into the air and taking the TV up the way. Then there is room for the USB. Okay. Thank fuck for the extending desk.
   I stepped into difficult territory here. My archive, from my dead computer, was in a live hard drive. That hard drive sat in a cradle to make it easier to plug in with a USB for all that wonderful access. The USB went in the top of the PC. I started copying the data over.
   This took a few hours. As I came and went and did other computery things, the extending desk shuddered and dropped a little. Shit, fuck, bugger. I couldn’t unplug the USB during file transfer. So I had to sit there and catch the desk to stop it crunching down on the USB head and ruining the gadget.
   I resolved to save the day by using toilet roll. The roll was hardly touched. I place it as a brace under the extending desk. The desk later collapsed with twenty minutes of file transferring left. It landed on the toilet roll, and the roll held. I banked on the cardboard core being supported by the huge wad of paper. And I stayed with the machine for the final transfer of files. As soon as that procedure was done and digitally dusted, I switched the old archive off and took the USB the hell out of Dodge.
   And then?
   Either raise and brace the extending desk platform or change the office once more. I had to rearrange so much fucking furniture to make room for a new desk. The computer sits to the left of it on a glass TV stand, and I now face the back of the room instead of the left-hand wall. There’s less faffing about with the chair behind the door.
   I am in the same place and a much better place all at the same time. The TV is all cabled up and sits on the extending desk unit atop the new desk. It’s been a long time since I rearranged an entire office set-up to cater to a new machine.
   Here’s hoping it’s going to be a long time again before the next upheaval.



No comments:

Post a Comment