RLLauthor@outlook.com and @RLL_author GO TO AMAZON KINDLE STORE AND TYPE RLL. YOU WILL FIND MY BOOKS.

Thursday 1 August 2019

ARCHIVING HELL: A REPORT FROM A FUGITIVE.


Proper actual archiving hell. No other way to type it. Files are arranged by year. In each annual folder there are sub-folders by topic. Those topics rarely change. There’s an archive set-up folder to make setting up next year’s archive easy. That’s more or less it. Except…
   I always have a miscellaneous folder. Random stuff rolls into the digital archive, trailing electronic bits of dust. Where else am I going to sweep that digital detritus? Into a dedicated miscellaneous file folder.
   The folder names rarely change, year by year. Here’s one for fiction with the number of the year attached. There’s another for official business. Occasionally, and it is usually for technical reasons, there’ll be a folder dealing with A THING that crops up once.
   Wasn’t needed before.
   Won’t be needed again. (But it remains in case that isn’t true later, Future Boy.)
   Too specific to be miscellaneous.
   Jumps out at you from the regular archive listings.
   Every few years, I have a clearout. Things, stored away out of sight and beyond mind, must leave the house in a cloud of debris. That’s the tangible world for you. Full of things. This gadget and that thingummy. Those rum-tee-tums.
   How goes it in the digital world? I archive stuff. It is backed up. At year’s end I make sure it is definitely backed up even more, in case computers fail me. Then the year is sealed. I dive back into it if I need something. But it is done. A year, plopped into a digital jar and sealed, is now electronic preserve, electric jam, and megabyte marmalade.

*

Dimly, a thought catches fire and races in my direction. When bookshelves reach saturation, I reorganise. Somehow I conjure space from out of a hat. Yet I don’t do this sort of thing digitally. The files grow larger and larger. Duplication of effort is real. I’ve tinkered with the clearing of duplicate files in the past, it’s true.
   But that was all cosmetic. I haven’t had a proper full-on clearout of digital files. The time is upon me. If not now, when? Never. I’ve booked the twelfth.

*

Yes, I know there’s stuff in there that’s no longer relevant. It wasn’t relevant to begin with, but I held on. For fear of deleting the wrong file, I left the woodlands of knowledge untended and now a forest lies before me. I’m not here to go logging. Just…
   It’s time to clear a few paths. Remove fallen trees. Tidy up. And make sure the archive is usable after the clearout. It’s usable now. But it feels as though the whole thing is stacked in boxes. Crooked boxes. Those boxes at the back. Boxes that haven’t seen digital daylight in a dragon’s age.
   Sifting through files is going to take eternity and…five minutes. The last five minutes will kill me. What will I discover? Files. Half-files. People, places, objects, things, ideas…
   And…miscellaneous electronic fluff.

*

For a time, I grabbed blank files and named them with ideas that I didn’t have time to write down in numbing detail…
   Yes, it’s true. You can’t just delete blank files. The blank file with a title is the thing you should keep and expand upon.
   There are files in old formats and back-ups of things I couldn’t describe. For evil reasons of evil archiving evilness, there are duplicates of duplicates that I know aren’t quite exact duplicates. Most of those must die. Sifting, sifting, sifting. All I’ll end up doing is one long shift…full of sift.

*

I could let it go. Leave the archive as it is. Not doing any harm. As it grows large enough to engulf a continent, I realise the archive is a continent of cloned city states. Not good. Eventually, the sheer size of the duplicated archive will do me harm. I won’t be able to cross it in a week, not even by train.
   If I institute a proper digital clearout, though…no more meddling or tinkering or mending and amending…
   Then it’ll be DONE done. All the deeper archived years need treated but the once. Those carry the least duplication, sit in the smallest folders, and offer the weakest troubles. Now I have a line of thinking, and I can apply it to the later, more complex, years.
   Yes, this is a polite fiction that I cling to. Yet it is mine to cling to. For the later files, there’s a grand plan. I’m going in there with dynamite and a flamethrower and it won’t be nice. But it will be not nice just the once.
   And once I start working on eradicating duplication, what then? The smoke clears, and? I’ll have organised things…differently. With years put to bed, down in the vaults, do I need to stick to the same level of organisation?
   It’s not meant to be a historical record, or a hysterical one. Will I organise past files by year in main annual folders? Perhaps, once I’ve rendered the data dead in the vaults, it’s time for me to stake those folders through their undying hearts.
   Complete reorganisation. I have the digital storage space handy. All I’m lacking is the willpower to tackle the labours of Herakles. This isn’t a job I’ll do in one swift burst. It’ll be planned, then left to rot in the weeds. I’ll rescue that plan and remove the worst of the rust.
   One of the main problems with technology is the technology. The archive is an archive of the technological past. Files were stored in sub-archives that could be backed up onto a DVD. This is why a lot of data bubbles burst near the upper limit of five gigabytes of information. A DVD held just under five.
   My earliest archives could stand backing up to a CD…with an annual archive measured in megabytes, rather than gigabytes. Your overall load is the capacity of your current bucket, as usual. My bucket has been a large external hard drive for a long time, now.
   What does it mean? I haven’t backed up an archive to DVD in a dragon’s age. It would mean breaking an archive into sub-folders of sub-folders to cope with data in five gigabyte chunks. I’m not going back to that. What am I staring into, this abyss of knowledge?
   Why, I’m staring at an abyss of knowledge. I’m looking at the prospect of taking a bunch of those early data-splintered archives and mashing them together into one folder that’s larger than five gigabytes…a number that no longer matters. The archive isn’t about keeping a record of how I stored the archive itself. It’s about convenience in filing. Away with the hysterical historical record.
   Once Windows 10 came along, I found the search function…less useful…shall we say. It’s one of those wonderful improvements that have the casual computer user hankering for a golden age that never was. I’m sure there’s a way to make it less fiddly.
   For me, the archive will be less fiddly if I tidy the bugger up. Ah, optimism. I anticipate filing Armageddon. It can’t possibly be easy. Nothing is straightforward. Not even the phrase I just typed. I’d rather be moving bookcases around again. And that’s not going to happen any old time soon. I’ll pencil in a date for winter in hell.

*

What will I learn from the experience? Nothing. I’ll relearn things. Every year goes under the eyeball, and every archived year is compressed into a few hours of searching and weeding and flamethrowering.
   People will resurface and fade. Places that changed, hell, they’ll pop into view again. Objects I object to will remain objectionable. Things I misplaced will reappear digitally, allowing me to treasure hunt them back into existence.
   And ideas? Those linger as titles on empty files that I won’t remove.

*

There are loose ends. And tied ends. My computer wallpaper is based on a file in a fixed location. If I move the folder, the wallpaper peels off. There are several other examples of things I dare not shift or consolidate. I mustn’t mistake loose ends – fixable – with tied ends…tied. The obvious remedy is to leave tied ends tied, and, maybe this is madness, also copy the tied ends to a more reasonable archived location.
   How much duplication is out there, in the files? Far too much. I know the duplicate archive looms, iceberg-like, in the depths of the overall data ocean. Luckily, I hold a mad belief. The unwanted duplicate archive could only be in the mere megabytes. Why, it would take but a moment to slog through all that crap. A moment that, for technical reasons, we’ll call…a month of Sundays.

*

Why consolidate? Consolidation makes things easier to do all those hard things that make things easier. I believe I haven’t created an artificial black hole that siphoned material off into its own pocket universe. And I also believe that I must be sure of this.
   It’s a glorious opporchancity to ensure that there aren’t any slightly different multiple near-copies of files left lurking in the archives. Oh, I know those bastards exist – and I’ve fallen foul of them before. It doesn’t matter how tight a ship you run, you run across the stormy sea just the same. And the sea’s the boss, not the ship.
   Duplication of effort is inevitable. Now and then, temporarily, for safety’s sake, it is desirable to have multiple copies floating around. I’m not talking about a full backing up of an archive – that’s vital. You handle projects with a load of data and you create a snapshot of how it is going. A temporary duplicate, just in case. And there’s a glitch. So you were right to create duplicates of duplicates.
   But once that archive is laid to rest, backed up and held secure, then let the digital dust settle. You are absolutely certain you’ll never muck around with the information again. And so. Time for a digital clearout. I’ve held off long enough.
   Noted computer software engineer Cher holds to this view: if it doesn’t matter in five years, it doesn’t matter.
   If I haven’t used a file in five years, it most likely doesn’t matter until one second after I delete the bastard. The best form of archiving is publication. So why do I have multiple copies of material I’ve set afloat on the Mighty Amazon? I turned my back on an acorn, and now it’s the effing forest.
   How long will it take to clean the old archive, and what will be the creature’s final form? I’ll suspect I'll have the answer to that one when I see the job through to the exceedingly bitter end.
   Who knows. This might end up as a lot of fuss about nothing. Upgrading to Windows 10 was a nightmare in preparation, and a snooze in execution. As long as this process isn’t the opposite of that process, I’ll survive. Also, as long as this process is a one-off, then…I’m fooling myself into thinking that it is a one-off. These digital fixes are never aloft alone. They fly in formation, thirteen-deep.


No comments:

Post a Comment