RLLauthor@outlook.com and @RLL_author GO TO AMAZON KINDLE STORE AND TYPE RLL. YOU WILL FIND MY BOOKS.

Saturday 7 February 2015

FUCKING IDIOTIC WRITER MODE 2 - JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO GO BACK IN THE WATER: A REPORT FROM A FUGITIVE.

Better to have too many files than too few. All files are copied. Precaution is nicer than caution.


*

So much for the flashback.

   After blogging about checking archives, I checked the archives again. And I found a file folder in one location. Forty-odd files inside it. All tied to a specific date in 2013.
   What.
   The.
   Fuck!?!
   :0


*

I did nothing. The hard drive requiring examination was the one stored in my skull. I consulted the memory banks. No computer files were touched. I did nothing.

   It's important to do that whole nothing routine, once in a while.
   Still, I did nothing. No frantic keyboard attack. Unwise. Just think it through. There was a purpose to the folder when created. What was it? Two years on, what was it?
   Why is the creature nowhere else?
   The folder is misleading. Concentrate on the files. Search the 2013 archive for those files. One by one, they popped up. A few files were derived from the internet.
   Timeline. I still relied on the public library for a regular internet service back then. Therefore...
   These files, grouped into one folder on one day for sheer convenience...
   Yes, these files were gathered off the internet or generated as a result of internet activity. I'd read an article then write a piece, say.
   It's a TEMPORARY folder. The files in it have all since gone into the right sub-folders within the 2013 archive.
   I am staring at a digital appendix. Useful, in its day. But its day is long-done. The folder was shunted aside, but not deleted. It should have been wiped...


*

Better to have too many files than too few. All files are copied. Precaution is nicer than caution.



*

And there's my lesson, taught right back at me two years down the line. I checked the files existed in the 2013 archive, and deleted the stragglers. Well. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment